Prestige Philately Auction 231 CatalogueLot 872Catalogue by countryFrance
Jump To Lot
- Click on the Image for a Larger Image Version.
- Check on our symbols and terminology.
- PDF Version available
Displaying 1 - 20 of 27 Lots in Category - France
C of A - Postal History
1930 commercial cover from France with 10c pair, 50c & 1fr strip of 5 tied by 'TOULON' cds, Australian Customs blue/white 'ASSESSMENT LABEL' on the face endorsed "Free & another example on the reverse, a bit knocked-about but these labels are rarely seen on cover. [See also Lot 1149]
Huge used accumulation in stockbooks, 100s of packets plus a few ancient worldwide albums including lots of Great Britain, British Commonwealth, some Australia with bundle of Territories CTO, noted Malaya to $5, Ceylon QV 'TWO' on 4c red block of 53 with Plate Number on parcel fragment plus group of numeral postmarks, France Ceres 25c blue plate & variety study, some mint & a few covers including Victoria 'GOVERNOR' frank stamp, USA 1936 airmail from Hawaii forwarded to Australia with GB 6d & 9d added, lots of fun here, condition variable. Weighs 42kg.
European group in two boxes including Austria, France, Germany, Ireland with 1920s overprints including Seahorse set (fake cancels), also Israel with sparse earlies but modern up to 2004 ** with M/Ss, sheetlets & booklets, many in high-cost European pages & albums, condition generally fine. Weighs 20kg.
"CINDERELLAS": Extensive array with strength in Europe including Spanish Civil War, Poland WWII three different sheets of 50, Trade Shows, Christmas & Exhibition labels etc, United States with lots of TB issues & Boys Homes setenant issues, also Britain with lots of Royalty, Canada, New Zealand, Australia including Railway Stamps & NSW Laureates 6d reprint sheet of 25, etc, loads of modern mullock but plenty of better earlier material including numerous poster stamps & some Revenues, Thailand progressive plate proofs, condition variable but generally fine to very fine, most unused/mint with some unmounted; also 13 woven flags noted as World War I "cigarette cards" (not previously seen by us). Many hours of fun.
POSTER STAMPS: Lovely collection of labels for International Expositions including 1897 Brussels, 1900 Paris including setenant sheet of 40 (some separation) & 'VILLAGE SUISSE' costumes x22, 1908 Franco-British array including imperfs & setenants, 1915 Panama-Pacific Volland Pavilions x12, etc, many die-cut types, some beautiful Art Nouveau & Art Deco designs, etc, generally very fine & many are unmounted. An exceptional basis for expansion.
Album with strong New Zealand content including Maoris & a Tourist Bureau card we haven't previously seen, US Leather PPCs x5 used, some early French Exposition advertising cards, 1908 Visit of the American Fleet x2, Tuck 'England & Japan' set of 6 (superb!), humour including non-PC sexist types, "Kewpie Dolls" by Rose O'Neill 1970s reproductions, etc, condition variable.
Artist "glamour" cards group comprising Jack Abeille 1898 Fashion Through the Ages x7, 1898 Bathing Costumes x3, 1899 Bathing Costumes x3 and 1899 Caprice Flowers 'La Tulipe' & 'La Violette' all Undivided Backs (Cat £60 each), M Munk (Vienna) early-1900s Divided Backs Erotica Topless Ladies & Amazing Hats x8 (a few minor blemishes), Stylish Ladies with Plain Backs x 6 (proofs?, plus one of these designs - Divided Back - used under cover in 1907), plus E Louis Lessieux 1900 Dancing Through the Ages set of 6 with Undivided Backs (undercatalogued at £40 each), then group of Charles Dana Gibson Snap Shots 'Gibson Girls' & Studies in Manners/Class, mostly used; also his Henderson & Sons 'Pictorial Comedy' Sets No 10 & 11 each of seven 'framed' cartoons, unused & fine to superb condition except as noted.
INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITIONS: Outstanding collection with 1905 Liege x4, 1906 Marseilles French Colonies x27, 1906 Milan x12, 1907 Dublin x5, 1910 Brussels x6, 1911 Roubaix x6, 1911 Charleroi x6, 1913 Ghent x23 (seven with the Expo slogan cancel), 1915 Panama-Pacific x9, 1922 Marseilles French Colonies x22 including Detaille artist cards x7, 1924-25 Wembley Tuck Oilettes x5, 1929 Sevilla/Barcelona x3, 1930 Liege set of 10 in folder, etc, some Art Nouveaux & Art Deco content, mostly unused & generally very fine to superb. A beautiful lot.
- 1878 & 1889 Paris Expositions souvenir trade cards about two-thirds with advertising - mostly on the reverse - for Au Tapis Rouge x5, Au Meilleur Marché x9, Pygmalion Magazine x6, Maison de la Belle Jardiniere x10 including eight oversize, Maison du Petit St Thomas x25 (these are superb!), etc, also Romanet & Cie 'Histoire de l'Habitation Humaine' No 1-26 (ex No 9) + another 11 with adverts added for Grandes Caves du Bon Marché, some have been removed from scrapbooks & have abrasions on the reverse but most are fine to superb; also two different fold-out "wallets" of views, and 1879 Expo chromolitho entrance tickets x5 different. A wonderful lot.
No longer available
- 1900 Paris all-different group featuring Flags and Costumes of countries and ethnic groups of the world from 'ALLEMAGNE' to 'ZOULOULAND' with some quite fanciful inclusions, many with two & even three variations including some with blank backs that may be proofs, generally very fine to superb unused.
- 1900 Paris all-different array from twelve different series including beautiful photos by LL x18, Taride x18 & numbered series with no publisher x8, then artist cards including 'Le Vieux Paris' x12, Kahn & Zabern x20 including five "lantern" types, Tuck x8, Kunzli Freres x12 & Météor Bréveté "lantern" cards x17, etc, condition variable but most are fine to very fine used or unused. An excellent basis for expansion.
- 1900 Paris trade cards comprising for Guérin-Boutron Chocolat x8 (blemishes on the adverts), Chocolat des Pharmacies x11, Beriot Chicorée x12, Le Chocolat Lombart x14, Singer Sewing Machines x12, Bleu Richter x5 and with blank backs - proofs? - x11, also larger format for Bon Marché x8 & Peruna Catarrh Remedy - in English - set of 25, and 1912 Roma Liebig cards x12, generally very fine. A gorgeous collection.
- 1908 London Franco-British collection of mostly Valentine cards with unframed coloured views x32 & beautiful framed L'Entente Cordiale x15, also Canadian Pavilion series x12 (full set?), Muir & Moody 'Views at the Glass Furnace' No 1-7, etc, a few used cards are creased otherwise very fine used or unused.
- 1931 French Colonies (Paris) Robert Lang artist card, Braun pavilion cards x10 plus rouletted books 'Promenade a Travers' (24 cards) & 'Le Temple d'Angkor-Vath' (12 cards), then nine different Braun wallets each of 10 small photographs, generally very fine unused.
1971 Paris Commune SG 2442-5, the 22f - Cat £30 only - is mounted, others are unmounted, Cat £475.
1922-37 group comprising 1922 War Orphans Surcharges; 1925 PIPEX M/S CTO at Exhibition on First Day of Issue, hInged at the corners the stamps pristine unmounted; 1936 Airs 50fr green; "Banknote" 50fr (tiny thin); South America Flight 10fr (minor crayon mark on the face); and 1937 PEXIP M/S CTO at Exhibition on First Day of Issue (no gum); Cat £3500+.
(Qty 11 + two sheetlets)
1926-27 War Orphans' Fund 5fr+1fr SG 453 marginal block of 4, very lightly mounted & the first unit is unmounted, Cat £560++ (mounted).
INDO-CHINA (Laos): 1905 Peace & Commerce 10c postal card with 'SONG-KHONE/17OCT/..../LAOS' double-ring d/s and 'SAIGON-CENTRAL/COCHIN CHINA' arrival on face. Personal message mentions upcoming trip "...sur un Paquebot port Marseilles". Very rare mail from this small Mekong River office.
NEW CALEDONIA: Two volumes with a handy range of earlies including many unused multiples (no gum) & a few very scarce used multiples, 1903 Anniversary mint or used to 75c, 1933 Paris-Noumea flight set mint or used, 'France Libre' values to 20fr (unused), later issues to 1999 mint or used + a few FDCs, condition variable especially in the earlier material but generally fine to very fine, Cat £6000+; also a range of covers in very mixed condition.
(Qty many 100s)
NEW CALEDONIA: 1943 airmail to USA with Admirals 5fr, Kagu Bird 2fr50 blue & 20fr green + Airmails 50fr black, censored locally and on arrival, couple of light folds not affecting stamps. Remarkable usage of top values from both the Airmails and Kagu series on the one item. [The rate was 4fr second weight-step (up to 40g) plus 10fr50 per 5g airmail surcharge x7 for carriage by US military plane via Hawaii]