Prestige Philately Auction 240 CatalogueCatalogue by countrySouth Africa
Jump To Lot
- Click on the Image for a Larger Image Version.
- Check on our symbols and terminology.
- PDF Version available
Displaying 20 Lots in Category - South Africa
C of A - Postal History
1939-44 inwards airmail covers including from Argentina 1939 at 1p95c rate, India 1941 twice censored, Panama 1944 at 90c rate with postal tax unpaid but forwarded after additional 1c affixed and cachet crossed-out, USA x2 at 70c PanAm Clipper rate, condition mixed but mostly fine. NO RESERVE.
Worldwide accumulation in envelopes bags & boxes with British Commonwealth, Czechslovakia, France & Colonies, Germany, Netherlands & Colonies, Philippines, Portugal & Colonies, South Africa, etc, some classic issues, lots of surprises throughout including Spain 1938 Lepanto M/S pair perforated *, Brazil 1945 Victory set imperf in presentation folders x7 in different languages, postmark interest, etc, condition variable. Weighs 13kg.
Accumulation with Basutoland £1 Royal Silver Wedding **, 1954 QEII set * & various 1961 Surcharges including all three types of 'R1' on 10/- *; Bechuanaland 1885 Overprints 3d & 4d * plus ½d & 3d used and Anchor wmk 6d & 1/- used, 1888 1/- 2/6d & 5/- * plus £5 fiscally used and Surcharges '1d', '2d' & '6d' * plus '1s.' with indistinct BN cancel, 'Protectorate' overprints '3d' on 3d and '4d' in Red on 4d *, Wedding ** & 1955 QEII set (ex 4d) **; Gambia Keyplates QV set, KEVII CA wmk to 1/- plus 2/- and CA wmk to 1/-; Rhodesia with range of 1890s Arms used, 1909 Overprints 1/- (two shades), 2/6d, 3/- & 10/- * and Surcharges set *, 1910 Double-Heads 2d, 2½d, 3d, 4d, 6, 8d (Perf 14 and Perf 13½) & 1/- * plus range of used; Sierra Leone 1938 KGVI set, £1 Wedding & 1956 QEII set **; Cape of Good Hope Triangles x11 including 1d Heavily-Blued Paper; Sudan 1935 Airmails '2½ PIASTRES' on 5m imprint strip of 5 cancelled 'OMDURAMAN/20 OCT 35' cds with one unit showing Second Arabic Letter From Left Missing; etc, condition mixed but many fine, Cat £4000+.
BASUTOLAND: Commercially used aerogrammes comprising 'SUID-AFRIKA' 3d with native's letter to a missionary serving with the MEF, 1949 'Basutoland' on 'SUID-AFRIKA' uprated to USA with KGVI 1½d pair tied by 'MAMATHES' cds, QEII '5c' on 6d to GB and 5c to Holland, also a few unused examples, 1968 airmail PPC to GB & what appears to be a crude 'phantom' on envelope addressed in French.
SWAZILAND: 1945 commercial usage of South Africa 3d Aerogramme (Afrikaans inscription) with 'Swaziland' overprint in Black, to Sweden with KGVI 3d blue added tied by scarce 'HLATIKULU/-3NOV1947' cds, lengthy personal message in German, minor blemishes.
Buy NowPrice $115.00
SOUTH AFRICA - (Provinces)
CAPE OF GOOD HOPE: Two beautifully engraved & hand-tinted John Tallis & Co maps from a c.1850 atlas 1) of 'Cape Colony' including what became Bechuanaland & Namibia, and 2) of 'Natal & Kaffraria' east of the Drakenberg Range & as far north as Delagoa Bay (later Mozambique).
CAPE OF GOOD HOPE: Triangles comprising 4d steel-blue SG 19c x3 (one a huge stamp with a couple of trivial imperfections; that & another with certificates), plus 1d rose (ugly cancellation) & 1/- deep dark green, all with full margins but of variable appearance, Cat £1750.
CAPE OF GOOD HOPE: 1911 KEVII Coil Stamps 1d as SG 71 irregularly trimmed at top & base which is a common characteristic of coil stamps made from sheet-stock, neat Cape Town d/s of 27SEP11. One of the rarest stamps of South Africa. [Gibbons states below SG 78 "The ½d exists from coils conctructed from normal sheets..." They make no mention of the 1d]
With an excellent article from the SA Philatelist of June 2001, which identifies the following Provincial Coil Stamps: Cape ½d; Transvaal ½d 1d & 2d; and ORC 2d. It is stated "There are probably not more than 30 to 40 of these stamps [including an extraordinary PPC with Transvaal 1d x2 used to Sweden!] in circulation, and they constitute the rarest Union stamps". Six examples of the Cape 1d were subsequently reported. The stamp offered here is a new and important discovery, apparently the earliest recorded date for any of these rare coil stamps.
CAPE OF GOOD HOPE: Vryburg: 1899 'ZAR' overprints & surcharges on Cape of Good Hope set (4) each with large-part 'VRYBURG' cds of '25NOV/99' (½d, 2d & 2½d) or '28NOV/99' (1d), plus extra '½ PENCE' with corner cancel, Cat £1185.
CAPE OF GOOD HOPE: Postal History: A really interesting group with superb 1787 entire to Stellenbosch & endorsed "Sieto"; 1794 defective but presentable entire from Keurboom Rivier to the Cape before inland postal services were established; very fine 1796 outer to "Graaffe Rijnet"; early undated outer to Zonnebloem; 1827 official mourning notice re death of the Duke of York; 1836 & 1840 outers from missionaries to London; undated defective letter signed "Saul Solomon [& Co]" printers of the famous 'Woodblocks"; two very fine outers with Crown h/s, the first from GPO to Tulbagh, the other 'POST OFFICE/STELLENBOSCH' with GPO arrival on the face; 1861 OHMS entire with free frank of "Charles Bell" who is credited with having designed the Cape Triangles; and a few others.
(Qty 16 items)
Buy NowPrice $750.00T
- Cape of Good Hope Postal History: Consignment remainders including 1873 with very fine 'KIMBERLEY' cds, 1884 1d Postal Card with very fine 'MIDDELBURG' cds, superb 1903 diamond mining PPC to GB with 'KIMBERLEY' cds & boxed 'POSTED LATE' h/s, 1904 registered to Tasmania with 'MOO BEACONSFIELD' cds, 1909 stampless with superb oval '[crown]/ON NAVAL SERVICE/OFFICIAL FREE/CAPE STATION' cachet, 1940 stampless OHMS from Bechuanaland to Swaziland, etc, plus some inwards items including 1898 mourning cover to the PMG Somerset French with very fine 'CAPE TOWN/POSTE RESTANTE' arrival on the face, 1890 USA 4-colour franking to "Huguenot Seminary/Wellington" with superb 'TPO/DOWN' transit b/s, and 1915 Mozambique 10r Postal Card with very fine 'PASSED.' & 'CENSOR.', etc; also 1866 cheque with Revenue 1d embossed adhesive & 1896 Quitrent Receipt with Cape 7/6d affixed; and finally a few non-African items.
(Qty 28 items)
CAPE OF GOOD HOPE: Remarkable group of Post Office stationery including receipts for parcels, telegraphic money order & rent for PO box, 1891 'POSTAL DRAFT' for £15, three different Mail Cart tickets (one unused) + 1865 cover with 4d Triangle endorsed "By Passenger Cart", 1901 PMG's Christmas Card, etc, also three different railway Passenger's Luggage labels, and a few others.
(Qty 24 items)
- Cape of Good Hope Postal History: 1817-27 group with birth registration forms headed 'Office for the Enregisterment of Slaves' x3 or 'Slave Registry Office' and two others wholly hand-written, 1827 document headed 'Slave Registry Office' re the sale of a male slave between British settlers, and six OHMS outers to or from the Registries of Slaves in various towns, some soiling but generally very fine. Horrendous stuff but important historical records. [From even the late-17th century, there were more slaves than whites in South Africa. From 1814, the British controlled slaving at the Cape & British settlers were banned from owning slaves, tho the 1827 document here challenges that position. Emancipation was imposed in 1834]
(Qty 15 items)
CAPE OF GOOD HOPE: 1873 cover from Cape Town to "FSO Stow/Kimberley/Diamond Field" with oval 'TARKASTAD' transit & largely fine strike of the 'DE BEERS NR/SP24/1873' arrival b/s, docketing on the face. De Beer's New Rush 1872; closed 1873. Clive Putzel states "Extremely rare". [The New Rush lead to discovery of the famous Big Hole]
CAPE OF GOOD HOPE: 1887-1904 advertising covers for Grocott's Machine Printing Works, Gus Trollip Solicitor, Le Sueur's Agency Office (front only) & illustrated for Jeyes' Disinfectants, also Postal Cards with advertising added for African Book Co & multicoloured for National Cash Register Co. Nice lot.
NATAL: 1902-03 KEVII 'POSTAGE - REVENUE' CC £10 grey-green & orange-brown SG 145, unmounted; £20 grey-green & crimson SG 146, minor toning, lightly mounted; and 1909 Unissued KEVII 2d grey SG 277, light tropicalisation, unmounted; all with 'SPECIMEN' Overprint, Cat £1400+ (mounted).
- Natal: 1906 (June 26) OAS PPC to Hillary's with 'MAPUMULO/NATAL' cds, message states "...Expect lively times in a day or so..." & countersigned "E Hopsons/For o/c FF/Mapumulo", light staining. [A stiff poll tax on Zulus caused an uprising known as the Zulu, or Bambatha Rebellion that was brutally suppressed. Fun fact: Mohandas Gandhi commanded a corps of 21 Indian stretcher bearers on the side of the British]
TRANSVAAL - Revenues: 1894 Customs Frank Fee with background Arms of the Republic 1/- Barefoot #4 pair and 5/- #5 strip of 3.
(Qty 2 items)
Buy NowPrice $115.00T
Collection on leaves including Cape of Good Hope range of Triangles x30 to 1/- (very mixed condition but a few fine), 1874 'ONE PENNY' on 6d with Surcharge Misplaced used; Natal 1862 Star Wmk 1d used, 1863-65 1d Wmk Inverted used, range of overprints, 5/- rose * & used, 1902 KEVII Crown CA set to 4/- (ex 1½d) * plus 5/- *; Orange Free State from 1868 with various shades, overprints & postmark interest, 'VRI' '6d' on 6d carmine **/* pair, '1s' strip of 3 with middle unit Level Stops, larger multiples & varieties; Orange River Colony overprints, KEVII Crown CA set * plus page of Telegraph Stamps 'TF' overprints, Transvaal 1870s Arms rouletted 1d (*) & 3d used, QV 3d *, range of later Arms with surcharges & overprints noted 1895 set used, KEVII Multi Crown CA set used & Postage Dues *; a few Zululand overprints; then South Africa apparently complete to 1964 including 1913 KGV set plus shades & coils, bi-lingual pairs - many used; some larger multiples - noted 1927 5/- vertical pair, 1932 2/6d block of 4, a few Officials & Postage Dues; South-West Africa with a few KGV overprints & bi-lingual pairs, etc; condition variable but many fine, Cat £6,000+.