Prestige Philately Auction 231 CatalogueWORLD PICTURE POSTCARDS
Jump To Lot
- Click on the Image for a Larger Image Version.
- Check on our symbols and terminology.
- PDF Version available
Displaying 1 - 20 of 33 Lots in Category - WORLD PICTURE POSTCARDS
Album with strong New Zealand content including Maoris & a Tourist Bureau card we haven't previously seen, US Leather PPCs x5 used, some early French Exposition advertising cards, 1908 Visit of the American Fleet x2, Tuck 'England & Japan' set of 6 (superb!), humour including non-PC sexist types, "Kewpie Dolls" by Rose O'Neill 1970s reproductions, etc, condition variable.
Box of World cards with useful Australia, New Zealand, USA including some very attractive non-linens, German Royalty group, "ladies subjects", etc, generally fine to very fine.
(Qty 150 approx)
A real "mixed bag" with WWII propaganda cards including by Tony Rafty x4, "Smits" x2 & "Adri", two Edith Cavell cards one a "silk" with plain back, 'Sinn Fein Rebel Leaders under Arrest', 'Nearer My God To Thee' Titanic card, British diecut card with foldout views used to Australia with attached packet tag, advertising including 'My Goodness - My Guiness' x2 (originals, not the common reprints), etc, also some crummy Australian Post Office packs etc, condition variable.
Novelty cards comprising two kaleidoscope cards in remarkably fine condition, a French card with fold-out flowers (small repair otherwise very fine), 1872 British small New Year card, & 1880s (?) chromolitho Christmas cards x3 in fabric folder (the cover stained).
Europe selection including Heligoland three 1887 private 'Island' views cards with British 'HELIGOLAND' cds, Germany 1880s Postal Cards & PPCs with woodcut illustrations on reverse of Bastei-Brucke, Schneekoppe & 'Gruss vom Inselberg', Fiume with Undivided Backs x6, Trieste Undivided Back with Domenico Rossetti illustrations on both sides & 1911 busy scene at Grado with Austrian stamp & 'GRADO' cds, Zara street scene & Dalmatia Costumes x3, Panorama cards from Bulgaria x2, Chile, Germany x2, Hungary, Romania, Russia, USA & 'Sierra Leone - Barracks of...West African Regiment', a few problems but mostly fine to very fine.
Graves from Britain, India including elaborate Mughal Tombs, China/Hong Kong, Russia, Tonga etc, Peruvian "headstone" with an automobile (!), etc, condition variable but generally fine to very fine; also German coloured artist cards depicting Medieval Punishments with Stocks, Ducking Stool & various other humiliations; and FA Ackerman set of cards bearing c.1848 woodcuts by Alfred Rethel in the style of Dürer depicting 'Death', unused.
Artist "glamour" cards group comprising Jack Abeille 1898 Fashion Through the Ages x7, 1898 Bathing Costumes x3, 1899 Bathing Costumes x3 and 1899 Caprice Flowers 'La Tulipe' & 'La Violette' all Undivided Backs (Cat £60 each), M Munk (Vienna) early-1900s Divided Backs Erotica Topless Ladies & Amazing Hats x8 (a few minor blemishes), Stylish Ladies with Plain Backs x 6 (proofs?, plus one of these designs - Divided Back - used under cover in 1907), plus E Louis Lessieux 1900 Dancing Through the Ages set of 6 with Undivided Backs (undercatalogued at £40 each), then group of Charles Dana Gibson Snap Shots 'Gibson Girls' & Studies in Manners/Class, mostly used; also his Henderson & Sons 'Pictorial Comedy' Sets No 10 & 11 each of seven 'framed' cartoons, unused & fine to superb condition except as noted.
Religion mostly British with a small selection of Churches & a good array of Ministers & Bishops, excellent Salvation Army group including an Indian Mission card (a great shot!) & five different Bands, etc, also several sets of devotional cards, 'The Volunteer Organist' set of 4 & Misch & Co 'The Holy Scriptures in Pictures' complete set of 60 plus Italian sets of 10 Popes & 10 Saints (absolutely gorgeous cards in superb condition) in their original envelopes, etc, condition variable but generally fine to very fine & many are superb.
Olympics 1908 London x7 & 1912 Stockholm x11 also Nordisk Kunst soccer match (adhesions on reverse), a Russian card of the finish of the 1500m race (a bit soiled) & two other non-Olympics, condition generally fine.
Horse Racing group with racecourses, race finishes, steeple-chases & horse portraits, condition variable.
Accumulation of Australia & World including NSW Wedderburn Weir & 'Umberumberka Weir, Broken Hill' real photos, 'Numurkah Weir' (Victoria), Tweed Heads/Coolangatta x6 attractively framed, Military with Punch Cartoon's "New Rake's Progress" fine set of 12 in battered envelope plus four more nicely framed, smutty Humour, a few Nudes, Greetings, also Advertising with ephemera including ship & travel brochures, Daily Graphics "Special War Cartoons" booklets #2 3 4 & 5, 1964 Newsweek magazine featuring Warren Commission report on the JFK Assasination,etc, condition mostly fine. Weighs 10kg.
INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITIONS: Outstanding collection with 1905 Liege x4, 1906 Marseilles French Colonies x27, 1906 Milan x12, 1907 Dublin x5, 1910 Brussels x6, 1911 Roubaix x6, 1911 Charleroi x6, 1913 Ghent x23 (seven with the Expo slogan cancel), 1915 Panama-Pacific x9, 1922 Marseilles French Colonies x22 including Detaille artist cards x7, 1924-25 Wembley Tuck Oilettes x5, 1929 Sevilla/Barcelona x3, 1930 Liege set of 10 in folder, etc, some Art Nouveaux & Art Deco content, mostly unused & generally very fine to superb. A beautiful lot.
1862 London London Stereoscopic Company promotional cards (100x62mm) 'The Nave, from Eastern Dome', 'The Nave, Looking Towards West Dome' & 'Case of Australian Gold and Gold Washing Apparatus', a few insignificant blemishes still remarkably fine. Rare: not seen before by us. (3)
No longer available
- 1878 & 1889 Paris Expositions souvenir trade cards about two-thirds with advertising - mostly on the reverse - for Au Tapis Rouge x5, Au Meilleur Marché x9, Pygmalion Magazine x6, Maison de la Belle Jardiniere x10 including eight oversize, Maison du Petit St Thomas x25 (these are superb!), etc, also Romanet & Cie 'Histoire de l'Habitation Humaine' No 1-26 (ex No 9) + another 11 with adverts added for Grandes Caves du Bon Marché, some have been removed from scrapbooks & have abrasions on the reverse but most are fine to superb; also two different fold-out "wallets" of views, and 1879 Expo chromolitho entrance tickets x5 different. A wonderful lot.
- 1900 Paris all-different group featuring Flags and Costumes of countries and ethnic groups of the world from 'ALLEMAGNE' to 'ZOULOULAND' with some quite fanciful inclusions, many with two & even three variations including some with blank backs that may be proofs, generally very fine to superb unused.
- 1900 Paris all-different array from twelve different series including beautiful photos by LL x18, Taride x18 & numbered series with no publisher x8, then artist cards including 'Le Vieux Paris' x12, Kahn & Zabern x20 including five "lantern" types, Tuck x8, Kunzli Freres x12 & Météor Bréveté "lantern" cards x17, etc, condition variable but most are fine to very fine used or unused. An excellent basis for expansion.
- 1900 Paris trade cards comprising for Guérin-Boutron Chocolat x8 (blemishes on the adverts), Chocolat des Pharmacies x11, Beriot Chicorée x12, Le Chocolat Lombart x14, Singer Sewing Machines x12, Bleu Richter x5 and with blank backs - proofs? - x11, also larger format for Bon Marché x8 & Peruna Catarrh Remedy - in English - set of 25, and 1912 Roma Liebig cards x12, generally very fine. A gorgeous collection.
- 1908 London Franco-British collection of mostly Valentine cards with unframed coloured views x32 & beautiful framed L'Entente Cordiale x15, also Canadian Pavilion series x12 (full set?), Muir & Moody 'Views at the Glass Furnace' No 1-7, etc, a few used cards are creased otherwise very fine used or unused.
- 1930 Liege (Belgian Centenary) Bénard Art Deco cards x26 plus Protin & Vuidar wallet of 10 rouletted cards, very fine unused.
- 1931 French Colonies (Paris) Robert Lang artist card, Braun pavilion cards x10 plus rouletted books 'Promenade a Travers' (24 cards) & 'Le Temple d'Angkor-Vath' (12 cards), then nine different Braun wallets each of 10 small photographs, generally very fine unused.